Carefully check before applying for an Indian visa whether all of the requirements on this page are being met. Travellers that don’t meet the visa requirements can be denied access to India.
Check if the traveller(s) and the itinerary meet the requirements for the Indian visa
The following requirements apply to all electronic variants of the Indian visa, for the eTourist, eBusiness, and the eMedical visa.
- Each traveller possesses their own passport and visa, including underage children
- The passport must state that you hold the British nationality, or one of these nationalities
- Travellers are required to carry with them the passport that was used during the visa application
- On each arrival in India, the passport must be valid for at least six more months
- On each arrival in India, the passport must contain at least 2 empty pages
The traveller and the travel plans
- Each trip needs to have the travel purpose that was filled in on the application form
- On arrival, a return or transit ticket needs to be provided
- It is not allowed to enter into service with an Indian organisation
- It is not allowed to perform volunteer work, even unpaid
- It is not allowed to enrol at an Indian educational institution
- The e-visa needs to be printed (colour, A4), and taken on the trip in the hand luggage
- Travellers must be able to prove that they possess sufficient financial means to perform the travel plans, up to the date of departure from India
Permitted arrival locations
Arriving in India with an e-visa is only allowed on the airports and seaports listed below. That same list can be found in the application form. Change in the travel plans? You are also allowed to travel into India at another location than the one filled in on the form, as long as that location is in the list below.
|Airports where you can arrive (IATA abbreviation, city, name, airport)|
|AMD - Ahmedabad (Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel)||ATQ - Amritsar (Sri Guru Ram Dass Jee)|
|IXB - Siliguri (Bagdogra)||BBI - Bhubaneswar (Biju Patnaik)|
|BLR - Bengaluru / Bangalore (Kempegowda)||CCJ - Calicut (Kozhikode)|
|MAA - Chennai (Madras)||IXC - Chandigarh (Chandigarh)|
|COK - Kochi (Cochin)||CJB - Coimbatore|
|DEL - Delhi (Indira Gandhi)||GAY - Gaya (Bodhgaya)|
|GOI - Dabolim (Goa)||GAU - Guwahati (Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi)|
|HYD - Hyderabad / Haiderabad (Rajiv Gandhi)||JAI - Jaipur|
|CCU - Kolkata / Calcutta (Netaji Subhash)||LKO - Lucknow (Chaudhary Charan Singh)|
|IXM - Madurai||IXE - Mangaluru (Mangalore)|
|BOM - Mumbai / Bombay (Chhatrapati Shivaji)||NAG - Nagpur (Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar)|
|IXZ - Port Blair (Veer Savarkar)||PNQ - Pune (Poona)|
|TRZ - Tiruchirappalli (Tiruchirappalli)||TRV - Thiruvananthapuram (Trivandrum)|
|VNS - Varanasi / Benares (Lal Bahadur)||VTZ - Visakhapatnam|
|Seaports in India where you can arrive by boat or cruise ship|
|Chennai (Madras)||Kochi (Cochin)||Mormugao (Goa)|
|New Mangalore||Mumbai (Bombay)|
Above-mentioned airports and seaports can also be found on the map below:
Leaving India with an electronic visa is allowed through all of the above-mentioned airports and seaports, as well all airports, seaports, and border crossings where an Immigration Check Post (ICP) is located. Many tourists leave India at the border crossing with Nepal. This can be done through the Immigration Check Posts in Banbasa, Gauriphanta, Jogbani, Rani Gunj, Raxaul, Rupaidiha and Sonouli.
Areas in India with extra restrictions
For a visit to the regions to the north and east of Bangladesh, additional requirements apply. The regions Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh can only be visited with special authorisation. For a visit to Manipur, Mizoram or Nagaland, travellers need to report to the FRRO in the concerning province within 24 hours.
Validity term and maximum length of stay in India
Aside from the above-mentioned requirements, the validity term and the maximum allowed length of stay in India need to be kept in mind. The restrictions surrounding this depend on the chosen visa type (eTourist, eBusiness, or eMedical). In short:
- Tourist and business visas are valid for 365 days
- Tourists with a UK, USA, Canada or Japan passport will not be staying for longer than 180 consecutive days in India per visit. Other nationalities will not be staying for longer than 90 consecutive days in India per visit
- Business travellers will not be staying in India for longer than 180 days on a single visa.
- The medical visa is only valid for 60 days
An extensive explanation can be found on the page concerning the validity term and maximum length of stay.
Apply for Indian visa
Do you meet all of the requirements listed on this page? Then you can make use of the fully online application procedure for the electronic Indian visa.
Open the application form for the e-visa India
What if you don’t meet the requirements above?
Don’t meet the above-mentioned requirements for the electronic Indian visa? Check if you can make use of one of the physical visa types for India. Different requirements apply for these. For example, they are available with a longer validity term and staying duration. It’s also possible to enter into employment with an Indian employer, or to study in India. Keep in mind that these come with longer processing times, higher costs, and more complicated procedures. For instance, the passport and several pieces of evidence need to be delivered or sent by mail, and several questionnaires need to be answered.