Before submitting a visa application, it is wise to closely read this page about the Sri Lanka visa requirements. Only if all the requirements are met can this visa be used. In practice, tourists and business travelers almost always meet the requirements set by the Department of Immigration & Emigration. Regardless, major problems can occur if all of the requirements are not met.
Requirements regarding travelers
- The traveller has the British nationality (British citizen) or one of these countries
- The traveler is not a journalist or diplomat
- The traveler does not work with or for an NGO (Non Governmental Organisation)
- The traveler does not make professional media productions (also in the home country)
Requirements for the trip
Only trips that meet the following Sri Lanka visa requirements can be made with the online visa:
- The stay in Sri Lanka lasts a maximum of 30 days, or a maximum of 90 days if an extension is granted
- The trip has a tourist or business purpose (visiting family or friends falls under this)
- The traveler does not enter into service with an organisation situated in Sri Lanka
- During the trip, no paid or unpaid volunteer work is performed
- No political gatherings are attended during the trip
- No journalism events are attended during the trip
Flight ticket and financial means
On arrival in Sri Lanka, travelers need to be able to provide a ticket for a return flight or a transit to another country. If a transit is made to another country that has a visa obligation, the visa for that country needs to be provided as well. Travelers also need to be able to show that they possess sufficient financial means to be pay for their stay in Sri Lanka. The minimum amount that you need to possess is $15 per day.
The visa can solely be used for the purpose indicated during the visa application. Example: you have applied for a visa to work at company A in Sri Lanka. You have acquired a business visa for this. However, you then want to work with company B in Sri Lanka. This cannot be done with the business visa you applied for. To still be able to work for company B you need to apply for a new visa, and have it approved before you arrive in Sri Lanka.
On a trip to Sri Lanka
Requirements when submitting an application
The Sri Lanka visa requirements you need to meet before submitting an application are:
- Each traveler needs to possess their own passport, including underage children
- The passport needs to be valid for at least six more months from the moment of arrival in Sri Lanka
- It is not necessary to have booked a flight ticket to apply for a Sri Lanka visa
- It is not necessary to have established a staying place in Sri Lanka
- If you apply for a visa for someone else, you need to have their passport information and (oral) permission
- If you travel with underage children and not all parents, you need to bring a signed permission slip, which has been signed by all parents
After submitting and paying for a visa, it is no longer possible to make changes in the filled in information. It’s also not possible to reverse the payment, regardless of the reason.
Travelers need to check all provided information for any potential mistakes, and guarantee that all of the filled in information is complete and truthful. In particular the passport number, the nationality and the date of birth are important. If any of these fields is not filled in 100% correctly, access to Sri Lanka will be denied. If the traveler discovers the mistakes in the application before the trip to Sri Lanka begins, an entirely new application needs to be submitted, paid for and approved before going on their journey. No payments are restituted for ETA’s, not even if the application is denied, the ETA is not used, or becomes invalid due to a faulty or incomplete application form.
What to do if the passport does not suffice
If your passport does not meet the Sri Lanka visa requirements, you need to apply for a new passport. Only after you have received this new passport can you submit a visa application: after all, you are asked for the passport number of the passport with which you will be traveling. If you already applied for a Sri Lanka visa with a passport that does not meet the Sri Lanka visa requirements when your trip commences, the validity of this visa expires. An entirely new Sri Lanka visa needs to be applied for..
Travelers that do not meet the requirements
Above are all of the Sri Lanka visa requirements. With those are meant: the electronic variant of the visa, also known as ETA or e-visa. Travelers that do not meet all of the requirements mentioned on this page (check the explanation page) might qualify for a physical visa.