This travel advice can help you with a good preparation for your trip to Canada. It has been carefully compiled with information from both national and international government sources, among which include the official UK government website. Please consult this advice before your travels. Following this travel advice offers no guarantee for a risk-free trip. You remain responsible.

Please note that this travel advice does not include information about coronavirus in Canada.
For that, you should check the page about coronavirus measures in Canada..

Up to date travel advice

Travel advice Canada: safe to travel
The travel advice for Canada is positive. This means that, apart from any regular safety risks, there are no additional travel restrictions in place for Canada. It is important to consider the standard safety risks. This will be further explained on this page.

Preparations for the trip

First, it is important to have your affairs in order before travelling to Canada. Make sure to have all the necessary documents, and that these remain valid long enough. For example, do not forget to apply for an eTA or Canada visa.


eTA Canada Travellers who do not hold a Canadian or US passport, and who arrive in Canada by aeroplane, need a visa for Canada. Tourists and business travellers who plan to stay in Canada for no longer than 6 months can fulfil this visa requirement with an eTA Canada. The eTA is an electronic travel authorisation that is linked to the traveller’s passport and is valid for up to 5 years. With the maximum stay of 6 months per visit, the eTA is ideal for a holiday, family visit, or business trip.
Passport (mandatory) To apply for the eTA, you must be in possession of a valid passport. This passport must also be valid for your entire stay in Canada, plus one day. Has your passport expired? Then apply for a new passport before using your new passport to apply for an eTA. Already have an eTA but your passport has expired? In this case you must also apply for a new eTA with the new passport.
Driving licence and IDP To be sure, apply for an International Driving Permit before you travel if you plan to rent a car or drive in Canada. Some car rental companies require an International Driving Permit (IDP) and in some provinces it is mandatory. Please note that an International Driving Permit can only be obtained in your home country before departure, not in Canada.
Embassy registration You can no longer register your trip to Canada with the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office. Instead, you are advised to carefully read the FCDO foreign travel check list and the crisis overseas page prior to your trip. Should you have any questions that cannot be answered on those pages, you can fill out an inquiry on the UK government website. However, keep in mind that the advice given is only general in nature and cannot be tailored to your specific trip.

It is recommended to write down the contact information of the British High Commission, the British Consulate General, or the Irish Embassy in case of any emergencies.

Apply for the eTA Canada

Health-related advice

Different rules for health care and medication may apply to visitors to Canada than to residents. There are also other health risks than in the United Kingdom or Ireland. Below you will find a short overview of important preparations and regulations. This advice was not written by a doctor.

Medical insurance Take out all-risk health insurance with your insurance company. Medical costs can be high in Canada, especially if you are being referred for treatment.
Vaccinations The vaccinations required for Canada vary from one traveller to another. Ask your general practitioner or specialised doctor about this.
Medication You are allowed to bring medicines into Canada for your own use. This may be a supply for up to 90 days. Before you leave, check whether you need a doctor’s certificate for certain medications at NMRA .
Medical emergencies The emergency number in Canada is 911. You can always go to the emergency rooms of hospitals without an appointment. However, the waiting time here can be up to several hours.

Laws and advice

Comply with local laws to avoid confrontation with authorities. Follow authoritative instructions carefully and be respectful of Canadian cultures and laws.

Drugs and alcohol In Canada, the minimum age for alcohol is either 18 or 19, depending on the provinces. In some places, people below the minimum age are not allowed to enter a bar. Minors are only allowed to consume alcohol if provided by their parent or legal guardian in their home environment.
Since 2018, Marijuana (cannabis) in Canada has been legal to possess, produce and distribute. Cannabis is also sometimes prescribed as medicine. Consuming or dealing in heavier drugs can be heavily punished.
LGBTIQ and minority groups The LGBTIQ community is well accepted in Canada. It is a criminal offence to openly express disapproval of this, or other vulnerable communities.
Imported goods You should always declare goods such as meat, dairy products, vegetables, fruit and animals to the authorities. Without a declaration, you may lose your belongings and be fined. Amounts of money of more than 10,000 Canadian dollars also require a declaration.
Driving a car Winter driving in Canada can be dangerous due to extreme cold and snowfall. Check the local news and make sure you have special snow tyres. Seatbelts are mandatory everywhere and uninsured vehicles are not allowed on the roads.

Natural hazard

Storms and tornados Tornadoes can occur regularly throughout the country, but especially between May and September. To keep informed about tornadoes, follow the local news. Severe thunderstorms can also occasionally cause damage.
Earthquakes and tsunamis The provinces of Yukon and British Columbia are at risk from seismic activity. On the coast of British Columbia, earthquakes can also cause tsunamis. Are you by the sea and does the water suddenly recede at a rapid pace? This is the most important sign of an approaching tsunami. Go inland as soon as possible and warn others.
Forest fires Forest fires could occur in any season. The risk of forest fires is higher in forests and grasslands in the west. Summers are usually warm and dry.
Winter in Canada Winter in Canada is known for extreme temperatures, especially in the north. The temperature can drop to -30℃ in some places. Due to the risk of blizzards and avalanches, many highways are closed in winter.

Additional advice

  • Take care of your belongings. Never keep important things like your passport and wallet in a loose bag, and keep copies of your data in a safe place. This includes your credit card and insurance details, as well as passport and other travel documents. In the event of theft, it will then be easier to obtain new documents.
  • Respect nature. When you go camping, do not leave any rubbish behind.
  • There are areas with low mobile coverage. If you are going to travel through such an area, leave the travel information with a trusted person.

In case of emergency, call 911. You can also reach the British High Commission in Ontario at +1 613-237-1530

eTA Canada

To ensure that you can travel to Canada, apply for the eTA Canada well in advance of your trip. The validity period of the eTA is up to 5 years, during which time you can travel to Canada multiple times with the same eTA. Each stay may last up to 6 months, more than enough for a wonderful holiday in Canada. Before applying, check if you meet the requirements of the eTA Canada. Do you meet the requirements? Request your eTA online.
Open the eTA online request form

Disclaimer: you remain responsible
This travel advice for Canada has been compiled with care. Nevertheless, will not accept liability for any problems, damage or injury that may occur from the use of this information. You must remain vigilant at all times while travelling in Canada and you are solely responsible for your safety while travelling and staying in Canada, as well as for the choice of whether or not to take a particular trip. Before travelling to Canada, it is advisable to consult the latest security updates from the Government of the United Kingdom regarding travel to Canada ( or to consult the British High Commission in Ontario, and/or information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. is a commercial and professional visa agency, and supports travellers in obtaining, among others, the eTA Canada. acts as an intermediary and is in no way part of any government. You can also apply for an eTA directly with the immigration service (7 CAD per eTA, via However, not with our level of support. If you submit your application via, our support centre is available to you 24/7. We also check your application before submitting it to the immigration authorities on your behalf. If we suspect any errors or omissions while doing so, we will personally contact you to ensure that your application can still be processed quickly and correctly. To use our services, you pay us 7 CAD in consular fees, which we pay to the immigration service on your behalf, as well as £25.92 in service fees as compensation for our services, including VAT. Our services have saved many travellers from major problems during their trip. Should an application be rejected despite our support and verification, we will refund the full purchase price (unless an application for a previous eTA Canada was rejected for the same traveller). Read more about our services here.