The Working Holiday Visum Australia (WHVA) is intended for young adults aged 18 to 30 years old (for Canadian and Irish citizens, 18 to 35 years old), who plan on going on a working holiday in Australia for a maximum period of 1 year.

What is the Working Holiday Visa Australia?

The Working Holiday Visa Australia is a permit allowing the owner to travel and work in Australia for a period of up to 12 months. You are allowed to work for the same employer for a maximum of 6 months. During these 12 months, it is permitted to leave the country and re-enter an unlimited number of times.

Roads in Australia Roads in Australia

Who is the Working Holiday Visa Australia meant for?

To be able to apply for this visa type, you have to meet a number of requirements. Firstly, you have to be between 18 and 30 years old at the time of the application (18 to 35 for Canadian and Irish citizens). The main purpose of the trip must be a holiday; aside from that you are also allowed to work (and receive salaried payment). Upon arrival in Australia, you have to provide proof that you own at least (converted) 5000 AUD. Take note: life in Australia is more expensive than in many other countries. The benefit of this is that the hourly wages are higher there as well. It is not allowed to travel with children if you are making use of the Working Holiday Visa Australia.

What types of jobs am I allowed to do in Australia with the WHVA?

With a WHVA all types of jobs are permitted. However, to qualify for a second Working Holiday Visa Australia, during your first WHVA trip you are required to have worked for at least 3 months in any one of the following branches:

  • Agricultural labour (farming and animal husbandry)
  • Fishing and pearling
  • Tree farming and felling
  • Mining
  • Construction (building and installation work)

The purpose of this is to perform unschooled (relatively hard) labour. Working in an office or a kitchen in one of the above-mentioned branches is not enough to qualify for a second Working Holiday Visa Australia.

Applying for the second Working Holiday Visa

If the combination of working in Australia while on holiday has been satisfying, you can apply for a second Working Holiday Visa Australia. While the first application for a Working Holiday Visa needs to be submitted while outside of Australia, this requirement does not exist for the second application. To qualify for a second Working Holiday Visa, you need to have adhered to all the terms and conditions of the first WHVA. You must also have worked in Australia for a minimum of 3 calendar months (88 days) during the duration of the first WHVA, and you cannot have reached the age of 31 years (for Canadian and Irish citizens, 36 years). The second Working Holiday Visa is valid for up to 24 months after entering Australia with the first WHVA.

Cheaper alternative to the Working Holiday Visa

Cheaper alternative
The Working Holiday Visa Australia costs €277; many travellers understandably find this too expensive. It is also possible to make use of a cheaper alternative, the eVisitor visa, which has far lower visa costs. This visa is also valid for a period of 12 months and only costs £14.95. There are two differences between the eVisitor and the Working Holiday Visa:

  • With an eVisitor visa you have to (briefly) leave the country every 3 months
  • With an eVisitor visa you cannot perform paid labour

The eVisitor visa can be easily applied for through this website and only costs £14.95. Read more about the requirements or cost of this visa.

Would you rather apply for the eVisitor visa and save yourself the cost of the Working Holiday Visa Australia? Submit your eVisitor application through this website.